Background and Objective
Pakistan is now one of the few countries in the South Asia who have lagged behind in terms of maternal and infant mortality, and is one of the polio endemic countries in the world. In spite of the way that the worldwide effort toward polio extinction is in the last stage, there is an growth of polio rate in Pakistan. Under such disturbing circumstances, GoP has been showing a solid duty to destroy polio since the declaration of “National Emergency Action Plan for Polio Eradication” by President Asif Ali Zardari in January 2011. With a specific end goal to support GoP’s such efforts, the Government of Japan (GoJ) and JICA chose to support Supplemental Immunization Activities, Polio Campaign in Pakistan through the obtainment of Oral Polio Vaccines (OPVs) and administration procurement for Polio Campaigns. This present venture’s goal is to streamline vaccination of OPVs to kids under 5 years, by securing OPVs and giving administrations important to Polio Campaigns, consequently adding to the destruction of polio in Pakistan.
|Exchange of Notes signed||August 15,2011|
|Term||August 2011 to June 2013 (planned)|
|Total Amount of Aid||4,993M Japanese Yen|
|Project Location||Entire of Pakistan|
|Executing Agency||Ministry of Inter Provincial Coordination|
|Targeted Population||Children under 5 years|
- Loan Terms (Concessional loan terms have been applied.)
Interest: 0.01% per annum
Repayment: 40 Years (including 10 years’ Grace Period)
- Loan Component
(1) Procurement of OPVs used for Polio Campaign
Service Provider: United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
JICA, acting on a request from GoP, disburses funds to UNICEF and UNICEF procures OPVs in turn.
(2) Service Provision for Polio Campaign
Service Provider: World Health Organization (WHO)
JICA, acting on a request from GoP, disburses funds to WHO and WHO carries out main operations in Polio Campaign in turn.
The administration cost includes routine set of expenses for vaccinators, pre-crusade preparing, and transportation of vaccinators, count sheets, finger markers, post-battle observing and so forth. It ought to be noticed that outlay for vaccinators has been expanded as an aftereffect of GoJ/JICA’s association, which could add to the change of execution vaccinators.
- Collaboration work with Bill and Martha Gates Foundation (BMGF) with “Loan Conversion” Mechanism Endless supply of the venture, an outsider leads an execution review to figure out whether the planned results are accomplished. Just in the event that the review assesses the venture as acceptable, “Advance Conversion” will be activated as per Assumption Agreement in the middle of JICA and BMGF, and BMGF will expect GoP’s budgetary objections and make a reimbursement to JICA rather than GoP.
- GoJ/JICA’s solid association with polio destruction activities in Pakistan with the use of all the three ODA plans
GoJ/JICA has confined itself to polio destruction in Pakistan by completely using all the three ODA plans including the above advance.
Consistently since 1996, GoJ has given gift help to GoP for the acquisition of OPVs predominantly utilized for mop-up crusades and case reactions in the Pakistan-Afghanistan fringe regions in association with UNICEF.
Moreover, JICA has extended its specialized participation to improve the limit of Expanded Program on Immunization (EPI) through “EPI/Polio Control Project” with a target of growing routine inoculation for the most part in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province for a long time (2006-2011).